NYC-based hair and make-up artist Dyana Nematallah is the genius behind the gorgeous advertisement for L.A.M.B. X Hanky Panky in the August 2014 issue of InStyle magazine. L.A.M.B. X Hanky Panky is an exclusive design collaboration between Gwen Stefani’s clothing line, L.A.M.B., and Hanky Panky.
Inspiration: Before getting to work, Dyana looked through the L.A.M.B. clothing line, and previous L.A.M.B. design collaborations, for inspiration. “I wanted to capture the edgy, punk rock look and feel of Gwen’s style,” Dyana said, “but with a softened, feminine touch, because this is lingerie after all.”
Get the Hair: Follow these steps to get the loose French braid shown on our model above:
- Add height to your normal blow out with a root lifter, such as blowPro® blow up™ root lift concentrate
- Use a comb to tease out the hair on the top of your head, and a texture spray for maximum volume (here, Dyana used shu uemura texture wave dry workable spray);
- Begin the braid above the center of your forehead, plaiting one-inch strands of hair together as you would for an ordinary French braid, picking up and adding more hair to each of the three strands as you go;
- Keep the braid loose, and rough up your hair as you braid, to keep the lift;
- Twist and then pin the braid at or just below the crown of your head using a giant bobby pin, letting the unplaited pieces hang down the back of your head.
Smokey Eyes: To multiply the Wow power of our model Lauren’s naturally striking eyes, Dyana glued on a double set of false eyelashes and blended black and brown eye shadow on the outside corner of Lauren’s eyelids for a sultry look. “I went for a strong, but not overpowering, look for the eyes,” said Dyana.
Strong Lips: Dyana normally does a very soft lip on Lauren, but for this shoot, in honor of Gwen’s trademark look of platinum blonde hair and retro red lips, Dyana blended a custom bright pink-red shade.
Cheeky Cheeks: Dyana used blush and then lightly brushed a bit of the custom blend lipstick just under Lauren’s cheek bones.
The L.A.M.B. X Hanky Panky collection consists of four groups—Geo and Lambie Camo in Signature Lace, and Old School Old English and Rasta in super-soft jersey—and is currently available at www.hankypanky.com and www.shoplamb.com only. The collection will also be available in select stores at the end of this month. And those in the New York area can catch an in-person sneak peek of two pieces in the collection, the Lambie Camo Retro Cropped Cami (Style No. 4L7914) and Retro Thong (Style No. 4L1924), at the The Museum at FIT’s exhibit, Exposed: A History of Lingerie, running through November 15, 2014.