I learned my most important lessons from my mother: “Look at the data” (she’s an economics reporter turned biographer); “In work, follow your interests; in love, listen to your mother”; “Let your conscience be your guide”; and, “In shoes and clothes, quality pays for itself ten times over . . . and if you “borrow” my suede Prada kitten heels one more time without asking, consider yourself orphaned.”
My mother gave me my first Hanky Panky Signature Lace Original Rise Thong for Christmas more than ten years ago. Like many of our customers, I never looked back. Out went the scratchy, wedgie-making, VPL-causing and “save for date with man” panties, and in came brightly hued and brilliantly patterned lace, cotton and microfiber thongs, boyshorts and panties from Hanky Panky. Making over my underwear drawer, I learned another valuable lesson from my mom, about comfort, self-love and not compromising where it counts.
Designing underthings that are adored by mothers and daughters (and sometimes grandmothers and granddaughters) alike is no small feat. But before drinking the Kool-Aid, I surveyed girlfriends and coworkers to find out if Hanky Panky also spanned generations in their families.
- Ila, granddaughter of Evalyn, mother of Shayna: “Four generations of women in my family wear Hanky Panky. My grandmother, at 92 years old, is a fan of the Retro V-Kini. One day when Grandma was in the hospital, a nurse helping Grandma with her clothes exclaimed: “What beautiful underwear!” Grandma told her proudly that they were Hanky Panky, and that I worked there. And here is a video of my daughter, Shayna, dancing to the Hanky Panky song.”
- Ank, mother of Michele: “My favorite style is the Retro Thong. It is sexy and covers a bit of the belly.”
Michele, Ank’s daughter: “Hanky Panky thongs are the one item in my wardrobe that I could not live without. There’s nothing else in the world that can make you feel sexy and be so comfortable at the same time!”
- Camille, daughter of Patricia: “My mother never thought lace could be so comfortable and flattering. The Retro V-kini is now her go-to panty!”
- Lisa, Chloe’s mother: “I love all our thongs. My daughter Chloe is many, many years away from wearing our bottoms, but she is drawn to our bright colors and prints and loves sharing something with Mommy (that’s me). So I let Chloe raid my drawers for camisoles, which she layers over her pajamas.”
- Barbara, Victoria’s mother: “I wear the Retro V-Kini and feel like I’m wearing nothing at all!”
Victoria, Barbara’s daughter: “I wear the boyshorts. The prints are so cool.”
- Kathleen, mother of Kateri: “The Original Rise Thong is the most comfortable underwear I’ve ever worn.”
Kateri, daughter of Kathleen: “The boyshort is so hipster and comfy.”
- Sylvia, Clara’s mother (for the moment, subject to return of those suede Prada kitten heels): “I love the Original Rise, and ALL the colors.”
Clara, Sylvia’s daughter: “Thanks Mom. I owe you a lot. You didn’t stop at giving me life, you gave me Hanky Panky.”
No related posts.