And no, it’s not 40! Well, we are still celebrating 40 years of Hanky Panky, but another member of the Hanky Panky team is celebrating a big milestone: Henree is turning 15!! That is 105 years old in dog years!
And to celebrate this 15th birthday, we are sharing 15 fun facts that you probably didn’t know about Henree:
1. Henree is a girl!
SURPRISE! If you thought she was a boy, guess again.
2. How she got her name…
Henree’s name was chosen in part to play with gender expectation and as an homage to her predecessor, Lida’s black female standard poodle, Pepsee.
3. She is a full-bred standard poodle.
Here is her official pedigree:
4. She was adopted by Lida at 2.5 years old.
The family that gave her up bought her from a breeder in Rochester, NY and then gave her up to the Watchung Mountain Poodle Club Rescue in New Jersey after she had a litter. From there, she found a permanent home with Lida in the Big Apple.
5. Henree’s quick ascension in the corporate world
She became Chairman of the board at the tender age of 5 human years and joined Lida and Gale as a top-ranking executive. A title, her good looks earned her.
6. She is a fixture at the Hanky Panky office.
Though her work ethic is questionable at times…
7. Henree knows her way home…
“She found her way home to 92nd Street, which involved crossing Central Park West, from the Great Lawn, when yours truly (Lida) became distracted and lost her in the crowd” as Lida recalls.
8. While she knows her way through the streets of NYC like a true New Yorker, the farthest she’s been is North Carolina.
9. Her BFF is Trixie, an apricot standard poodle.
Henree has been showing her the ropes since Trixie was 6 months old and they share all the gossip. BFFs are the best.
10. She and her pack are pure #squadgoals.
They meet up for happy hour twice a week. And, of course, she’s at the center!
11. A true social butterfly, she can also hang with cats.
Here she is at a sleepover getting toasty with the crew:
12. And what are her fav foods?
Her sensitive stomach requires a limited diet of sweet potato, pumpkin and venison, but if she had her druthers, it’d be peanut butter and pizza all day, everyday (my kind of girl!)
13. Her favorite toys include:
Pink Poodle, Empire State Building, Dudley, Hanukkah bone, Carrot, Rocky
According to Henree, “Rocky was a gift when I arrived at my new home 12 ½ years ago. Rocky, a raccoon, has squeakers in each paw and is in perfect condition, squeaks and all, because I have what is called a “soft mouth”—a poodle trait.”
But Henree is not all toys and games, she is an avid and informed reader, who always finds time in her busy day to catch up on news.
14. Henree has been the muse and inspiration behind many great works of art (I told you those looks got her far).
15. Her highlights are natural and really just complete the flawless look.
Bonus Trivia: Henree likes to fish, but not swim. Watch the hair!
–Carla, wishing Henree a happy 15!